Monday 11 August 2014

National Day




I have been living in Singapore for the past 16 years. This 49th National Day is my very first national day celebration as a Singaporean . My family and I watched the national day parade in the comfort of home. It was spectacular and meaningful as usual. This year, one person in the crowd truly impressed me - a navy serviceman military expert, Mr Jason Chee. 

Mr Chee lost his legs and left arm and three right fingers after he was caught between a motorised winch and berthing rope during a routine check on a warship in December 2012. The 30-year-old has since won a bronze medal for Singapore in the 7th ASEAN Para Games in Myanmar in January. He is planning to join the 2016 Paralympics in Brazil and is also studying Mathematics UniSiM.

The spirit and dedication in him to strive on in times of difficulties is admirable. Nick Vujicic, a world famous limbless motivational speaker, is a living role model for Mr. Chee. A marked difference between them would be, Nick is congenitally handicapped, whereas Mr Chee lost his legs ,left arm and three right fingers in a day. Mr Chee, I am so proud of you. You are indeed an inspiration ..

“I wanted arms and legs to be happy, then I found many people with arms and legs, still not happy.” Nick Vujicic

Written by : Dr Debbie Hong

No comments:

Post a Comment