Thursday 14 May 2015

Cavities in Baby Teeth


Being a dentist and mother, I can truly understand the emotional turmoil that Cara McDonough went through when she realized that there were cavities in her baby’s teeth. She wrote an article titled " My baby has cavities in her teeth. Does that make me a bad mother? " (Published in The Washington Post on 11 May 2015). After reading this article, I am inspired to share my story of dental care for my kids.

For my first born, Anastasia, I had a hard time getting rid of her night feed and this was extremely stressful for me as being a dentist myself I am able to appreciate the consequences of not brushing teeth before sleep. I tried really hard. Finally I succeeded to brush her teeth before she sleeps! It is indeed a struggle but it's worth all the effort to protect her pearlie whites.

Am I a bad mother if my kids have tooth decay? At many times, as mothers, we will feel guilty about the health problems of our children, be it minor or major problems. We tend to question ourselves whether it is a result of inadequate care from us; this is especially true for working mothers. We can really save ourselves the guilt trip and stress by taking over the dental care of your baby instead of leaving the tooth brushing routine to your nanny or helper. Anyway, there are only 20 baby teeth compared to 32 adult teeth; it is not that difficult to keep them healthy :)

When and how should we do it right from the start? Most new mothers already have many things to handle from the minute they are discharged from the hospital with their newborns; barely six months later, we find ourselves responsible for even more stuff - their teeth! But its really not that difficult, by starting the habit of dental care before the emergence of the first tooth, which is usually around 6 months of age for most babies. We can start early by gently cleaning our babies mouth with a finger toothbrush or just a cloth or cotton gauze wrapped around your finger to clean baby's gums. I find it easier to include this oral care as part of my children's bedtime routine. This way, our babies will start getting accustomed to having their gums (and later on, teeth) cleaned from an early age.

Once their teeth are erupted, you can proceed to use small and soft bristle toothbrushes. The toothbrushes usually come in fancy packaging, which helps to attract your child's interest. I started brushing their teeth with water but they do not like that much. I found that using the Spiffies tooth gel helps, as it smells and tastes really nice. It comes in two different flavors: strawberry and grapes. It is not crucial to rinse their mouth after brushing their teeth; it may be difficult to achieve that at this age.

Even with the cutest toothbrush and best tasting tooth gel or paste, it may not be an easy task to get your baby or toddler to open their mouth and stay still for you to brush their teeth. Besides making tooth-brushing part of my girl's bedtime routine, I usually brush my teeth alongside them. I find it helpful as your little ones just love to do whatever mummy is doing. Sometimes, we may just need to brush their teeth while they are yelling with mouth opened. That will give you the best view :)

Your baby teeth may have some gaps in between them initially, as more teeth erupt, the gaps decrease and it will be good to start flossing between their teeth as food debris tends to get stuck in between their teeth. Some children develop tooth decay even if they brush their teeth everyday, such cavities are usually found in between teeth (areas not reached by tooth brushing).

Some of Anastasia's favorite dental tools:

She loves the Frog Toothbrush. It has frog head cover to protect the bristles. 




No comments:

Post a Comment